Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Writing: an art or a trick?

I tend to view writing as an artistic process: it requires inspiration, ideas, patience, technique and talent. I can not write when I don't feel like writing. That attitude explains the occasional nights when I suddenly got an idea while spinning in bed. Then I would wake up, start typing and my essay would gradually be formed. I can not write within a restricted constraint of time and space either, hence my horribly low SAT writing score, even though no serious academic would take that as an indication of writing capability. In any way, I take writing seriously. Most importantly, I enjoy it.


Unlike other art forms though, writing is an inevitable part of life. I might never have to take up the paintbrush and paint a canvas, but even a hydraulic technician will at some points have to write a report. Within the context of liberal art education, writing becomes even more essential. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone would embrace it equally though. I have this friend who is an Economy major who scored a 4.0 GPA during the first semester. During the second semester, he took English 103 and his impressive GPA started going down. He took his essays to me every time, saying "I've got to get a B on this man". I helped him as best as I could, but the situation didn't get any more optimistic. As a last resort, I asked him to pay particular attention to what the teacher said during the lecture, her keywords and key terms, and to put them on his paper. Next time he returned with a B+. My happiness for him was cut short with his saying: "This is a neat trick. So it's all about what the teacher likes, huh?"

On another occasion, I read a friend's college application essay. Her boundless vocabulary made me sweat, and I almost had to have my dictionary next to me. While being deeply impressed by her word choice, I struggled to find her main argument. As I finished, I asked my friend what she wanted the reader to get out of this verbally opulent piece. She told me "I've done this so many times. You just need to overwhelm people with fancy words and you are in".

Another time I was talking to a successful lawyer. Among what she said, this captured the most of my attention: "the key to writing in this field is to make people don't understand what you are writing about". I did get a chance to look at her proposal, and it was true, I couldn't understand a thing. How this confusing practice fueled her career I would never know.

I personally could never get myself to do what my friend or the lawyer above has done. Even though, their practices deeply questioned my opinion on writing. Is it an art form to master and practice seriously, or is it simply a collection of techniques and tips that will help you get what you want?

It will take a much longer journey into the study of the writing process to answer my question.

1 comment:

  1. These are such great stories that illustrate the complexities involved whenever we try to talk about writing. I often think that people are so afraid to admit they don't understand something that they end up like the people in the story "The Emperor's New Clothes" who won't admit that they don't see the "new clothes, and are really looking at a naked king!

    ReplyDelete